Integrating a BPM model into an existent WebML model

16 May '12, 10:36 PM
No Forum Badges

Hey,

I did the tutorials on both BPM and WebML, and built projects in both perspectives. What I can't really wrap my head around is how do you integrate a BPM model in an existent WebML model? I have done the synchronization tutorial, but that mainly explains how to create a new WebML model and sync it do the BPM one, after which you can edit the tasks and such. But for an existent WebML model, it's really confusing how it all works.

For example, let's say I have a WebML model for an IT store. Now I want to use a BPM model which describes the process of order handling for the store. How would that synchronize over the WebML model? Would I need to add the current users to the BPM roles to make sure I have the same users belonging to the same groups? What if I already have siteviews for the clients and store staff, how do those integrate with the Control Views? Would I need to create separate Control Views for each lane to integrate them with the siteviews assigned to each group of users?

Long story short, if I already have an existent web application and want to add processes to it, should I try synchronizing with the BPM model and then modify it so it integrates well with my application, or should I just use the BPM model to test the process, then manually design the process in WebML?

Cheers

Follow
Answer Answer at this question and get points!
Forum Hero - Level 9

Hi,

if you want to restrict the access to a specific professor you can prepare a Custom Distribution Policy. (Distribution Policy in the General tab of the Properties View) In the Web Project associated to the BPM model, an Operation Module will be added to the Web Project. In this Module you can retrieve the Group and Users that you want to add to Lane/Task and pass them to the Ok Collector Unit.

Referring to the second request you could set the Process Parameters in the Web Project. If you want to start a Process and preload some Parameters, you can pass the desired values to the Start Process Unit. In your page you can retrieve the list of courses, add the desired Process Parameters to the Start Process Unit and set the values.

For example, if in the BPM project there is a BO and there is a Parameter associated to it, you can follow these suggestions:

• Retrieve the instance related to the BO (by Index Unit)
  • Add to the Start Process Unit the Process Parameters related to the BO (the OID of the selected BO and the desired Attributes).

In this way you can start the Process and preload the Process Parameters.

No Forum Badges

Hi,

you can integrate a BPM model into an existing WebML model.

With reference to the steps described in the following article, of which I briefly quote the first steps:

1) open the WebML project

2) in the Outline View, right click on the ""Project"" node -> ""Synchronize BPM to Web Project...""

3) follow the wizard steps: select the BPM Project you wish to synchronize with the WebML Project, click Next (to see the changes that will be applied to the project) and then Finish.

In the WebML Project some new elements will appear, for example new entities, new modules,...

In order to integrate the BPM functionalities inside the Web Project, you need to perform the following additional steps:

1) remove the Control View, which is useless

2) use the BPM Units to control your BPM Process. For example the ""Start Process Unit"" will start the BPM process.

No Forum Badges

Hi,

with "notes" and "download" do you mean the BPM Tasks or the elements of your Model? What is the reason why you need to remove them ?

Can you explain me your situation (BPM Model and Web Project) and your needs ?

No Forum Badges

Hey,

Let me give you more details:

My WebML project is a faculty courses application, where faculty members can add courses and students can enroll. To demonstrate the BPM capability, I decided to add a process through which a student enrolls to a course (the student asks to be enrolled, some checks are being made to see if the course still allows registrations, and then the course's lecturer approves or rejects the application).

Here is my current feedback:

I've synchronized the BPM project to the WebML project. The issue is that there is a lot of stuff that has been added that I do not need (like the notes and attachments units and entities in the database model), and it's also a bit difficult to integrate the process with the already-made application (I'm referring mostly to the control views that need to be integrated with the already existent views of the application). It would be nice to have a tutorial on how to integrate processes with existent WebML applications and what does the synchronization do exactly (where all the BPM units and the data model entities would be explained, so users would know how to make modifications to suit their needs).

I think the current synchronization tutorial is mostly suited for people who don't have a WebML model and are creating the BPM process first.

And now I do have two questions:

1. When a student enrolls to a course, all the professors (users who are in the Professor lane) can see the registration. I would like it so only the professor who created that course would be able to see the process instance (otherwise it creates a weird situation where any professor can approve or reject a student even if the registration wasn't made to their course). Is there any way I can do that?
  2. Can I set the value of a parameter in the process when it starts? For example, I would like to have an index unit in the Student view with the current courses, with an outgoing link that starts the process and also sends the oid of that course. I realize that I could probably insert a task in the process where the user selects the course so I can set the parameter then, but I was wondering if I could skip that and set the parameter by sending the course oid from "outside" the process.

That's about it, thanks!

Answer at this question and get points!

Related questions

500 error with WebRatio BPM Acceder a diferentes site views/ Acces to diferents site views Add to Bag link in ACME Anyone Using WebRatio BPM as a Dashboard in the NOC? any webratio book ? Asking For a Book Attribute comparison in a selector unit [beginner] - How to store and browse data collected with BPM app? Bpmn data object BPMN: URL field BPMN vs. Web Model BPM - Service Task in errore BPM Subprocess BPM Subprocess BPM subprocess loop usage Business object data Clarification about the NoOperation unit Codigo QR COLORARE le sequence flow Como hacer un menu en webratio? Conditional Expression "greater than 0" on null fields Connect more query unit Constants in the BPM model Content module page variable won't assign. coupled mandatory fields Creación DB Apache Derby - Modelado BPMN Create sub-processes in WebRatio 8.5.2. Create Unit with Date (Year only) ¿ Cuál es la diferencia entre Web Ratio y Bizagi? Custom Attributes Condition Database Database List is not showing up in App Emulator Data is always created doubled Data Management: Updating Data - Attachments - Updating Data Sample Project Final Description: Unknown tag 'wr:LinkResource' Dudas sobre modelado(Data Flow,Forms y Operation Create) Dynamic attribute/field names. Possible? Empty record mistakenly saved End message event en_US codify problem Error updating metadata process Export XML external link.= Filter information in a Simple List Format currency forward/backward navigation and bookmark in ajax web app From BPM to WebProject - BUILD FAILED "Generation Error" with Generate and Run Generation options problem get the attachment files of an email Get Unit problem Get Year from Date Help for connect public and private site views How can i create pagemenu or landmarkmenu with multiple levels. How can i save a diagram as an image file? How does WebRatio represent these IFML elements? / ¿Cómo representa WebRatio estos elementos IFML? How i can reuse modules in multiple projects? How to create a new Web Project How to define the sequence of execution units on a page? How to display the attributes of a related entity. How to filter imported attributes? How to fix Expense report example? How to implement a BPMN Service Task into WebModel How to include Selector Unit result in Mail Unit Body? How to open a window ajax in a BPM activity? How to pass vars to a alternative page How to process IFML Model (build with Eclipse editor) with ATL How to show a page based on a boolean? How to speed up the "last" link using PowerIndexUnit for lots of records How to store data related to an entity in relationships in a project web Import an XPDL 2.2 file into a BPM Project Insert data into database Insert master page to many hybrid modules Intermediate Catching Timer Event JSON I/O Unit e informazioni derivate KO Links in Selector Unit Landmark in hybrid module Link localization Links from Index unit with condition Link Visibility Condition Power Index Unit Localize body mail messages in BPM flows Mail multipla maintain the record order in a sortable list Math Unit to update attributes of an entity? [MOBILE] How I extract information from JSON client side? Modifica Entità tramite file xml Multi Entry Unit: How to forward only checked rows? multi-lingual product description Next Activity Note property - Error synchronizing with web project Non riesco a fare funzionare Xml out unit Parametrizzazione Selector Unit Problema generando la logica de un proyecto Problem Example create Unit (no company in employee table) problemi con il salvataggio Problem in adding diagrams in IFML Editor (Eclipse) Problem with query unit! Problem with Scroller Unit Process model import in other languages query a database Question about integrating LinkedIn using BPMN and WebML Question about Site Views Remove default BPM css import for all templates Renamed Gateways still cause Errors Rename passing attributes Replace ID by its value in another table Resize fields Search by Selector component does not work Select between parameters Selector unit doesn't return any value in hybrid module Sending and Catching message in Webratio BPM Sending mails is not working Sending mails with gmail is not working Setting the Default link for a Switch unit show/hide fields on button click (registration page) Simulation Software [solved] all links transparent, why ? Something leads to wrong condition expression evaluation. sumar atributos de una tabla filtrado por Role Condition Sum entity's values Synchronize bpmn to web project Tarea de servicio no me evalua el valor Transportation Link issue Unable to connect the BAM application to a BPM based Web application Unable to get ExpenseReport example work in WebRation Personl 7.2.2 Unable to update the web project Unique Fields Unspecified BPM Engine Database using relationship role conditional with null Uso de la componente chart de webRatio usuarios y grupos utilizzo componenti database Visibility Condition on Multiple Links From Index Unit WebRation - Create Navigation diagram White report